When it comes to food, I don't discriminate.
I don't have to be a vegan to eat vegan food.
I like to call myself a "foodatarian" who practices "nutrient-based eating".
That means all foods are fair game!
For this week's meal prep lunch, I made a super simple and delicious vegan mac & cheese with broccoli.
If you haven't already, I recommend grabbing yourself some. They're super affordable!
Alright, onto the recipe. Just keep in mind that I'm not a food blogger, so this could get messy!
For the broccoli
- 2 heads of broccoli (are they called heads??)
- About 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Some Trader Joe's African Smoke Spice, or any seasoning of your choice
- Preheat oven to 425º
- Chop the broccoli into your favorite size
- Toss said broccoli in olive oil
- Plop it in the oven for as long as you prefer! (I like mine extra crispy, so I cooked it for about 30 minutes) I recommend checking on it every 5-10 minutes, and sampling a piece to see if it's ready
For the mac
- Your favorite noodle of choice! (I chose chickpea pasta shells)
- You can do noodles, zoodles, veggie noodles, whatever your little heart desires
- Look at the box, follow cooking instructions!
For the cheese or "cheeze" (As I believe it's called in the vegan world)
- 2 small potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (I found this in the bulk section of my local Smith's)
- 1tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- Trader Joe's Everything but the Bagel Seasoning, to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil
- Add potatoes, carrot, and onion
- Boil for about 10 minutes
- Reserve about 1 1/2 cups of water then drain the veggies
- Add veggies, reserved water, and remaining ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until creamy
Once all is complete, combine your broccoli, mac, and cheeeeeze, top with some more EBT seasoning, and enjoy!
Note: If you're using this for meal prep purposes, divide the noodles across 4-5 mason jars. Top with cheeze. Add broccoli.
I hope you've enjoyed this first recipe I've posted on my blog!
To keep in touch with me and receive weekly updates filled with inspiration, information, and special offers, you can sign up for my newsletter by visiting the homepage of my site and picking up your complimentary Habit Building Kickstarter Guide!